Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Thanka Thingal

Song : Thanka Thingal
Movie Name : Indraprastham (2002)
Singer : Sreekumar M G and K S Chitra
Music Director :
Vidya Sagar

Vidyasagar is one of my favourite music directors among the current generation. I think his "flaw" is that he is a bit too much melody oriented, while people would like more "zing" in songs. The fan of melody that I am, Vidyasagar is no big surprise. I saw this song on cable a long time ago, on the top 10 songs of Malayalam, and was (then) surprised at how there were such good songs in Malayalam. This song is really beautiful, extremely well sung by Chitra (I dont have too many nice things to say about Sreekumar though). Vidayasagar is at his usual melodious best. The first interlude has a hindustani sounding alaap, which reminds me of "Poo Vaasam" from Anbe Sivam (another awesome meoldy from Vidyasagar, which is sure to figure on my list, should I keep at updating my blog often) :)


Listen to this song at:
Thanka Thingal from musicindiaonline

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

this is an eternally late comment!

It sounds similar to Poo vasam, sure, firstly because it is Vidyasagar for both and second because it is same ragam "Hamsanadam".
"Om Namaha" in gItAnjali (idayathai thirudade) movie by Ilayaraja is also Hamsanadam.

Kiran said...

Thanks for visiting this page. Thats interesting info about Hamsanadam, I should have picked that myself. However, I was pointing to a more subtle fact, that even within the raagam the interlude sounded eerily similar to that in Poo Vaasam. I checked out your blog, quite interesting!