Monday, January 11, 2010

Innalluga

Song: Innalluga
Movie Name : Prasthanam
Singers : Mahesh, Sahiti
Music Director : Mahesh Shankar

I had my doubts when I started listening to the songs of Prasthanam. Mainly because of the movie's serious sounding title. However, Mahesh Shankar was the name that dragged me to its music. Once again, he comes up with a funky breezy tune which belongs to his own genre. I like how Mahesh Shankar has created a nifty genre for himself and continues to find interesting tunes within that category. You start to follow the tune and Mahesh breaks the monotony by introducing rapid changes in the flow, that surprise you in a pleasant way! He sings this one, and he does an average job as a singer. Sahiti does a fantastic job and gets the best parts of the song.

A side note: Everyone has their own biases, including reviewers. I am yet to come across a reviewer who has not shown his/her bias in some form or the other. The only thing that differs across reviewers is the extent of their bias - some people stick to their favorite music directors/directors/lyricists/genre and downright criticize other kinds of music. Some people can tolerate other forms of music, but rarely praise others, and make it a point to definitely point out the best in their own favorites. I am the second kind and Mahesh Shankar, Devisri Prasad, Illayaraja, Rehman, Sri, Vishal Bharadwaj, Yuvan Shankar Raja, Vidyasagar and a few other music directors are among my favorites. I really get a kick out of finding amazing songs from these people. That said, I know that I have my biases and hence do not do music reviews of albums, especially if I do not like some music. Music appreciation, like any other art form, is highly subjective and I don't think anyone should claim themselves to be a reviewer unless they can truly look past their biases.

No comments: